Children learn through play – play is the child’s work.
Our Nursery Curriculum is based on the Early Years Foundation Stage Guidelines which includes a broad and balanced range of experiences over a period of time. We cover the 7 Learning Areas as outlined below, including the Jewish area of Spiritual Development.
In addition, we are very fortunate to benefit from the Montessori child-centred approach, which develops self-esteem, a sense of order, self-control and a love for learning. Our children have the wonderful opportunity to learn through self-discovery using some of our special Montessori apparatus. They are also offered weekly yoga, music, dance and drama sessions.
Personal, Social & Emotional Development:
- Develops dispositions and attitudes to learning and the ability to focus when appropriate
- Enhances the ability to develop self-confidence and self-esteem
- Enables the formation of good relationships with adults and peers
- Encourages the child to take responsibility for their own actions
- Promotes understanding and respect of the needs and views of others
Communication & Language Development and Literacy includes:
- Communication of needs, feelings and events
- Language for thinking
- Linking sounds and letters
- Listening with enjoyment and responding to stories, songs, poems and rhymes
- Extending vocabulary and explore the meaning & sound of new words
- Using language to imagine & recreate rolls, experiences or event
Physical Development provides:
- Space to move, with increasing control and coordination
- Teaches the child to manage their own dressing & personal hygiene
- Opportunities to show awareness of space of themselves and of others
- Recognition of the importance of being healthy and how to keep healthy
- Time to practice using a range of small and large
- Equipment, practising fine and gross motor skills
- Numbers for labels and counting
- Recognising colours and shapes
- Using language to compare quantities, describe size and position
- Use mathematical ideas to solve practical problems.
Understanding of the World is:
- Exploration and investigation
- Designing and making skills
- A sense of time, place & community
Expressive Arts and Design involves:
- Responding to experiences, expressing and communicating ideas
- Exploring media and Materials
- Creating Music and Dance
- Developing Imagination and Imaginative Play
Spiritual Development provides:
- Awareness of G-d as the Creator
- Celebration of good deeds and positive character traits
- Experience of Jewish practice
- Opportunities to enjoy Shabbos and Jewish Holidays.